Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Speaking...or not

Sami's speech has been exploding! It's so crazy. At her 18 month check up the doctor made a comment about her speech and made me a little concerned. Honestly, I think I just took it as a defensive mom, she may have meant nothing by it, but none the less, it made me concerned, or at the very least aware.
All she said was, "As far as her speech, try not to talk for her." That was it. End of speech conversation, nothing else was said and that little comment stored it's self right in the front of my brain like one of those annoying tickers constantly flashing in my brain.
It's hard not to just know what she's trying to say, or what she's thinking, especially when we are together 24/7. Ever since her appointment she has been saying more and new words everyday. I'm not sure if she's on the same level as others her age, only because I don't know any other 19 month olds, lol. I think she just wants to say the word right and she doesn't really start using it until she has it pronounced well enough. With the exception of "Blankey" She will not say blankey, she calls it a Ba, or Baba. I think Ba is her default word, anything she can't say seems to be Ba.
Her words as of today
Daddy
Mama
Scott (She's been trying really hard to say Bro Bro as that is what he would like her to call him.)
More
Cracker
Snack
Cheese
Juice
Fork
Cup
Diaper
Baby
Night Night
Bye Bye
Hi
Book
Weee (lol is that a word?)
Help
Patches
Cole
Ry
Tigger
Bear
Frog
Oval
Square
Circle
Chair
Car
Truck
Ball
Ut Oh!
Beep Beep
I guess these are a few of the everyday words she uses. She says more but I can't think of them right now, and most of them are words she will repeat after you say it. All of these are words she says on her own. (sorry for the list, it's really more for my reference.)
She talks non stop, you just don't have a clue what she's saying, but she sure seems to know what she's talking about.
And she knows most animal noises, she loves to do the animal noises, but she won't name the animals, she'll only make their sounds.
she does, dog, kitty, horse, cow, sheep, duck, elephant, monkey, frog, lion, dinosaur, and alpaca, lol.
She seems to only attempt single syllable words..is that normal?
It's hard to understand how she can comprehend everything I'm saying to her, but she can't communicate it back to me.

Ok, so that's it for tonight. Sorry nothing interesting to share, just need to document some stuff I'm thinking of. I hate that I've lost touch with this blog. No one really comes here anymore anyway, but I want to keep it going so I can capture the memories of Sami's childhood...and the new baby, who, by the way, is still UN-NAMED! Ugh.

Eye contact is non existent when I have a camera in my hand.

More teeth, more drool. She's finally starting to get her canine teeth in.
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: